Self-Care for School Personnel: Strategies
The following are some strategies you can use to take care of yourself:
- Use positive self-talk—for example, "My feelings are a normal reaction to an abnormal situation."
- Make use of social supports; reach out to friends, family and other school personnel.
- If you are uncomfortable talking about your feelings, find another form of expression such as journal writing, hobbies, sports, or physical exercise.
- Use relaxation and stress-management techniques, such as meditation, mental imagery, muscle relaxation, and massage, to calm yourself.
- Reach out to the school community—particularly after a major disaster, the school community may be fragmented. 16